For those people who are searching for a drone, either for personal or professional needs, it’s very important to choose the one that has all the features and top-notch specs to offer. If you are in the market trying to find one, it will be quite a task and you will not be able to find one so easily. In the drone industry, the ones that are getting quite popular are the GPS-equipped ones. These drones will allow users to set the path along with many other features to help you through. In this article, we are going through some of the best GPS drones. People are buying drones not specifically for any need, but they are also getting the drones to add fun to their outings.
The drones that are coming these days are very compact. You will get to carry them around anywhere very easily. There are a few settings that are provided on these drones which are quite helpful in an easy flight experience. These drones can easily reach the places where it’s difficult for you to go. These copters are used best to get the perfect aerial shots to add to your film.
These drones can also be a perfect gift and as some of them are lightweight. You will not need to register them with authorities like the FAA. Without delaying it any further, let’s dive into the review with pros and cons.
10 best GPS drones to buy review with pros & cons!
You have landed the right place if you are in the market looking for a quadcopter that can fit all your needs. These drones are not quite bulky and you will be able to easily carry them from one place to another. These drones range from the budget category to the premium category. We have tried to handpick these drones and give you a very to-the-point approach in making the decision.
Here is a comparison table of the top 10 best GPS drones that you can purchase:
|DJI Inspire 2 drone||4.8/5|
|Parrot Anafi 4K drone||4.3/5|
|DJI Spark drone||4.6/5|
|Hubsan H501S X4 drone||4.9/5|
|Altair 818 Hornet drone||4.5/5|
|Altair AA108 drone||4.7/5|
|DJI Mavic Pro 4K drone||4.3/5|
|Yuneec Q500 4K drone||4.6/5|
|DJI Phantom 4 drone||4.8/5|
|HolyStone HS120D FullHD drone||4.2/5|
1. DJI Inspire 2 drone
This is the drone that only a professional will buy. This is going to be the most premium one on this list. The features/functionality it has to offer is just exceptional. It is one of the drones that can do anything and almost in any kind of weather condition.
You shouldn’t even consider this one if you are a beginner solely due to the premium price point of above $3,000.
The price point will go even further up as you will have to buy the camera unit separately. This is one of the many reasons we are recommending it to professional users. Before you finalize the deal, you need to understand that it is quite a bulky drone and you will need to put in some effort to carry it around.
The drone is loaded with features and it is capable of shooting some amazing B-rolls including slow-mo aerial shots. DJI Inspire 2 comes with very high speed and you can follow the quick-moving objects as well without much hassle.
It is added to the list of ‘Best GPS Drones’ primarily due to the feature-set it has to offer, however, the price tag is just straight up too high.
- The drone comes with a flight time of 27 minutes which is good enough.
- Concerning its size, the drone is not that heavy as the total weight will go up to 4 kg.
- Inspire 2 can go up to the maximum range of 7 km. However, the live transmission range offered by DJI is limited to 500-600 meters.
- On the security front, the drone comes with a good obstacle detection mechanism and it can detect the obstacles ahead up to 98 feet.
- In case the connection is lost, the drone will return to the take-off position without any input.
- There are multiple reviews present online where users alleged that the brand shipped used products as new.
- The software is also not fully optimized and the gimbal often stops working.
2. Parrot Anafi 4K drone
When it comes to taking some amazing pictures and videos, this drone is one of the best GPS drones performing. The 4K resolution offered by the drone will give you way better results where you can easily use the recorded content in any professional/commercial film.
The drone is equipped with high-end GPS where you will be able to control the drone in a much better way. You can set the path beforehand and the drone will reach the destination without any further input.
The design language of the drone is pretty compact. You will be able to easily carry it around in your backpack. If you are a traveling enthusiast and love to go hiking and mountaineering, this Parrot Anafi is the best one to buy.
The 4K sensor that you will get on this camera will give you the output that can easily fit the professional standards. The camera is also equipped with HDR support that will provide you much better results in harsh lighting conditions, e.g., direct sunlight.
- The drone comes with a 3-axis gimbal that will help you in getting smooth shots by keeping the image and video crisp clear.
- Parrot offers a flight time of 25 minutes and it’s hugely supported by the drone’s lightweight of just 320 grams.
- The GPS function of the drone allows you to bring the copter to the take-off location without much input. The feature will get auto-activated in case of signal-lost or low battery.
- The drone can go up to the range of 4 km and the live transmission range is also the same.
- The overall build quality of the drone is also great where the material used is carbon fiber and other lightweight materials.
- The RC build can be improved and Parrot should consider it to give it more of a premium feel.
- The packaging is done by the brand is not up to the mark and there are some gruesome complaints about it.
3. DJI Spark drone
When it comes to getting the drone that everyone can afford, this one from DJI can be the best option for you. There is a range of features that will allow everyone to fly the drone just the way they want.
The drone can take off quite easily just by a single tap. You will also be able to bring the drone back to the home without any further input. This can only be made possible due to the presence of GPS function and easy controls through the remote and app. This is the best GPS drones with DJI features and available high-quality remote control.
If you ask about the value for money, this drone is the best option that you can go for. DJI is also known for the great after-sales service where you can get any issue resolved in no matter of time.
You will also get to enable the gesture control where the drone will allow you to take pictures through hand gestures. The propellers on the drone can be taken out in case you are packing it.
The drone can become even more compact by folding the motors into the drone body.
- The camera sensor that is present on the drone will shoot up to the resolution of 1080p30.
- The drone can also be considered as one of the best GPS drones due to its features such as 2-axis stabilization where the shot that you are capturing turns out to be smooth and jitter-free.
- A drone can easily be controlled either by the provided remote controller or through the DJI app.
- The drone will go up the max speed of 31 mph and you can take part in some casual drone races.
- There are some huge QC issues that you will face while using the drone where the biggest one is buggy RTH function.
4. Hubsan H501S X4 drone
Though the drone is quite cheap, there are no compromises done in terms of functionality and features. The brand has also focused a lot on the appearance of the drone. The material and overall build of the copter give the drone a premium look and feel.
There are various drones offered by the brand and this one is no exception when it comes to performance.
The camera sensor that you will get on this drone is also capable of giving you amazing results and in good lighting conditions. You can get professional-level footage without going through much hassle.
The remote controller that you will get in the package will come with the GPS and you will be able to get multiple features that will help you in flying. The first feature that no other drone of this price segment has to offer is Follow Me mode.
Here, you will be able to keep the shot steady while the drone is following the set object.
- In this price segment, the drone has a good flight time to offer. You can fly it up to 20 minutes on a single charge.
- The auto-return feature will allow you to get the drone back in case of any signal loss or low battery.
- In terms of maximum height, the drone can go all the way up to 850 feet.
- On the controller, you will get an in-built screen where you will get a high-quality FPV.
- The overall build quality can be a tad better. On longer use, the golden colour starts to chip out.
5. Altair 818 Hornet drone
This drone can seem like a toy but it’s not. Thanks to the lightweight and safe construction, we will recommend this one to beginners, and kids. If you have never flown a drone in your life, it would be better for you to start with the one that can allow you to learn without giving you the stress of the probability to crash.
On the software front, the drone gives you 3-speed settings that will be used by the pilots at different stages of learning. The drone will require no setup and you can start flying right after the unboxing.
The controls and the app interface that you will get on this drone are very intuitive and user-friendly. Considering the budget price point, the drone gives you a much better battery life of 15 minutes on a single charge.
You can easily extend the battery by keeping 2-3 extra batteries in the bag. The drone also sports propeller guards that will help you in stress-free flying and give extra protection to the motors.
- The drone comes with 2 batteries included in the package where the flight time will automatically extend to 30 minutes.
- Thanks to the onboard GPS, the drone can easily return to the starting point in just a single tap.
- Altair 818 Hornet is a pretty featherweight drone, weighing just 248 gm.
- The camera sensor on this drone is also above average where you will get a 120° wide view with 720p resolution.
- You can also enable the altitude hold to keep the drone steady at one spot in the air.
- The drone can go only up to the range of 100 meters while flying with the controller.
6. Altair AA108 drone
When it comes to easy flying, this drone is one of the best ones you can easily buy right now. The camera that you will get here is also good enough and the pictures/videos shot with it are also top-notch.
There are 3 flight modes that you will get on this drone where the pilot will fly according to the progress they are making. Not only this, but you will also get to use these speed options based on where you are flying.
With a flight time of 8-10 minutes, the drone completely justifies its affordable price point of under $150. Thanks to the GPS, you will also get headless mode where the drone will move according to the direction in which you are facing and not the drone.
It will also keep you updated on the battery level and will signal you in the form of an alarm system. Before you make your decision, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons.
- The altitude-hold feature of the drone will allow you to take a much better group photo that is otherwise impossible.
- The low battery alarm of the drone will give you the option of getting the drone down without crashing.
- The RC that you will get with this drone will come with dual-antenna and the connection between the drone and the remote will be quite stable.
- The 720p camera sensor on this drone will give you a better picture and video output.
- The construction of the drone can be a lot better where the materials used are very cheap.
7. DJI Mavic Pro 4K drone
There are various features that you will get on this drone that is there to help you in flying. When it comes to DJI, there should be no worries regarding quality and performance. The drone can be considered as one of the best GPS drones for professional pilots, as well as for beginners who are going to invest in the first drone.
The interface and the dashboard that you will get will be quite intuitive and you will be able to use it without any issue. However, for a beginner, it is one of the most expensive options that you can consider.
While flying, the take-off/landing is quite easy and can be done with a single tap. Even with such a compact size, DJI managed to give you a flying time of a good 27 minutes.
The Mavic Pro 4K drone can also go up to the range of 7 km. You will also get the first-person view to get the perfect frame. The drone is equipped with a 3-axis gimbal where the camera will be able to record 1080p at 96 fps to give you smooth slow-mo capturing.
- In the package, you will also get an extra battery. It will allow you to double up the flying time.
- With a max speed of 64 km/h, the drone can go extremely fast and you can participate in the drone races with your friends.
- The camera comes in a protected cover where it is equipped with a 3-axis gimbal to give you better stabilization.
- You can also use the onboard GPS to set the path for the drone to go without much input.
- There are some very significant quality issues and you need to place the order after proper research regarding the seller.
8. Yuneec Q500 4K drone
When it comes to GPS drones, there are multiple options that you will get in the market. The Yuneec Q500 4K drone will allow you to record HD videos where the shots will be crispy, clear, and smooth.
Yuneec has managed to offer the drone in a pretty compact size where the flight time that you will get will be around 25 minutes. If you have enabled the FPV, the drone will give you a live transmission up to 400 meters.
The GPS will give you the option of getting features such as Follow Me, Orbit Mode, etc. You will be able to get smooth shots while the camera is following you.
The footage will also remain stable throughout, thanks to the 3-axis gimbal. You will also get to bring the drone to the take-off position with just a single tap. The overall build of the drone is also above average as the materials that are used are quite premium.
- The RC that you will get with the drone will come with an in-built touchscreen.
- The drone is also capable of shooting 4K videos and if you are in need to shoot a slow-mo, the 120 fps option is also there.
- The camera will give you the option of controlling the white balance, exposure, etc.
- The motors on this drone are the brushless ones where you will be able to get a better and more durable life.
- There is no case provided in the package and you will have to get one to keep the drone secure while traveling.
- There is only one battery provided in the box.
9. DJI Phantom 4 drone
Talking about drones and we skip the Phantom series from DJI, it’s impossible. The drone is the first choice for a lot of users, especially for photographers. When it comes to the range, there is no drone in close proximity that can beat this. The GPS on the drone will offer you a range of features that will help you in flying the drone easily.
The design language of the drone is also very sturdy. The materials used in the construction can also bear minor crashes. There is one thing that you need to know and that is the drone in no way is a compact device. You will not be able to carry it in your bag.
The drone is equipped with GPS where you will find features such as auto-return and take-off. The auto-return will automatically activate in case the battery is low or the drone has lost the connection.
There are multiple modes to choose from and the one that provides the highest speed is Sport Mode where you will get it to fly up to 70 km/h.
- The camera sensor that you will find on this drone is a 20 MP one that will allow you high-res pictures.
- There are sensors placed all over the drone and it is one of those few best GPS drones that are capable of detecting 5-way obstacles.
- The motors present on the drone are also very powerful and you will not face any issue while flying.
- The drone also offers you the headless mode where you will be able to give drones the instructions to move according to the direction you are facing.
- The flight time that you will get will be around 30 minutes.
- It will require a good amount of time where you will need to calibrate the drone before you start flying.
10. HolyStone HS120D FullHD drone
With a similar design language to the DJI Phantom 4, this offering from HolyStone comes in a very affordable range. The drone comes in matte black colour which gives it a very premium look. HolyStone is a known brand when it comes to drones and HS120D is no exception.
It is also equipped with high-end GPS where you will get features such as Orbit Mode, Object Tracking/Following, one-tap return, etc.
In the Orbit mode, you will be able to get some very good shots and you can add some amazing transition effects to make it more pleasing. The interface and dashboard provided by the brand are quite simple. We recommend this one, especially to the kids or beginners. You will also get to enable the selfie mode where the drone will move according to the direction you are in.
Before you make the decision, it will be better to go through the pros and cons. The camera present on the drone will give you 75° of movement and it will give you better flexibility. On the 1080p settings, the sensor will give you a 120° wide view.
- As soon as you turn on the Follow Me mode, the drone will start tracking you at the set height without taking any input from you.
- As it’s one of the best GPS drones, the implementation is also top-notch and the drone will automatically return in case of low battery.
- There will also be the altitude hold feature where the drone will hover at a fixed height.
- HS120D can fly up to 18 minutes on a single charge.
- The companion app of the drone only supports Apple software and it will be a huge deal breaker for the Android user base.
How to buy the best GPS drones? – A buyer’s guide!
Though we have provided you with the list of some of the best GPS drones, it can still be a lot confusing and you may find it difficult to choose one. We can make it easy for you by providing some tips that will help you choose the drone that fits your requirements. In this section, we are discussing the points you need to look for while investing in a drone.
This should be the first thing you need to decide. When you decide the purpose of the purchase, you will be able to get the most out of the drone’s capabilities. For example, if you’re getting the drone for marketing, your focus should be on the ones having 4K camera sensors and high-res image capturing.
As the drones can now be insured, this section will matter a lot. The frequency in which you are taking the drone out will directly affect the motor and therefore, you will need to choose a suitable insurance plan. Also, if you are going to fly more often, the drone interface should be easy to use.
Type of footage
This section is kind of in sync with the first one but you will need to pay extra attention. The video and photo quality that your drone has to offer can be put to good use. If you are getting the drone for cinematic shots, the drone should come with a multi-axis gimbal, wide-angle camera, etc.
The weather conditions in the area where you are going to fly the drone will matter a lot. In the budget segment, the highest flight time you get will be around 27 minutes. It will come quite down in case the flying conditions are windy/rainy. It will consume way more battery to keep the drone stabilized.
Yes, it’s last but not least a factor to consider. When you are in the market looking for a drone to buy, the price will be a very important factor to consider. For beginners, they need to invest in a lower-priced one so that they can learn flying easily. The accessories will also cost significantly less for these drones.
Concluding the Things: Recommendations from Us
For the people who are in the market looking for a drone, it is quite a task to find one. As drones are getting more popular, it is becoming one of the best tools to capture the moments in the best kind of aerial shots. In this article, we have included some of the best GPS drones and these are loaded with features. If you are still finding it difficult to decide on one, we are going to provide you with our 2 recommendations.
The first one you can buy is the Yuneec Q500 4K drone. With a live feed range of good 400 meters, this is one of those drones where the GPS functionality is implemented in a very clean and practical way.
Another option you can go for is the DJI Mavic Pro drone in one of the best GPS drones. With a little higher pricing, this is the drone that can easily be considered as one of the best-performing ones.
The drone is also quite compact with a 3-axis gimbal and a flight time of a whopping 30 minutes. A microSD card of 16 GB will be included in the package. These two drones will not give you any point to complain about, no matter for which purpose you are getting them.
FAQs: Clearing the thoughts
- Which drone should I buy for field mapping purposes?
If you are buying a drone specifically for this purpose, you should go for the one that is lightweight and easily portable.
- Do I need to carry multiple batteries?
It isn’t a necessary thing to do but it depends a lot on the drone that you are buying. If you generally fly in windy/rainy conditions, it would be better to have some backup.
- Are all drones equipped with a return-to-home function?
As it’s a safety feature, almost all the mid-range drones come with this feature where you will get to bring the drone back to the take-off point in just one tap.