In order to avail of the best drones under a pocket-friendly rate of $500, it is essential to understand the specifications and the features it provides. So, are you up for some mid-size drones which come under the price range of $500? Even after spending a small amount, you might end up with some faulty product if the product is coming from low-quality importers.
Good quality drones are available with a whole lot of features such as GPS, HD camera, long range radio controllers, and many more. However, nowadays there are scores of opportunity and if you take a plunge into this ocean, you will surely be able to unearth the best drones under $500.
Top Reviewed Best Drones under $500
If you are new to drones, then you don’t have to rely on the large section of expensive models. There are tons of cheaper models available that will serve your requirements or can be used during the weekends as a fun toy
Here is a comparison table of the top 10 best drones under $500 that you can purchase:
|Outlaw SE Drone||4.6/5|
|Holy Stone HS720||4.2/5|
|Parrot Bebop 2 - Best FPV Drone||4.5/5|
|UPair One Plus||4.3/5|
|Walkera Rodeo 150 - Beginner Racing Drone||4.7/5|
|Hubsan X4 H501S||4.1/5|
|DJI Mavic Mini||4.4/5|
|Traxxas Aton Plus||4.8/5|
1. Outlaw SE Drone
This Outlaw SE Drone is one of the best drones under $500 and here you will find exceptional features such as GPS. The GPS feature is equipped with an automatic return feature that triggers ones the machine suffers from loss of power, loses connection, etc. There are predetermined GPS points available on the drone and use Outlaw SE fly to set your points.
It has come up with a “follow me” option which keeps track of your activity every time.
This drone can fly up to 600 feet. The camera used here is definitely a setup that comes with a camera known as Tomahawk. It comes with a higher resolution of 1080p along with a 110-degree panoramic view which facilitates taking a snap of widening objects. This drone serves both the purpose-can be used as a recreational item or can be used during surveillance as well.
It is perfect both for novice and experienced pilots as well. The GPS feature which is there inside the drone works well even at a higher altitude without any extra input. So, beginners find it quite useful since they have full access to it.
The advanced photographers take time to have the perfect shot.
- It is compatible with Android and iOS wireless FPV streaming.
- This requires a 2800 mAHLiPo battery.
- This device is equipped with a 600+ meter Flight Control Range.
- Also, it has come up with a 500+ Meter FPV video transmission range.
2. Holy Stone HS720
This drone is an upgrade of the famous HS100. It is used to shoot amateur videos without investing too much on a high-end model. So, it can be the best chore if you are inclined towards shooting different outdoor events and also can be used for shooting various vacation spots as well if you travel with your family.
This drone is equipped with a 12 MP camera as well as it works well for GoPro. This has earned a huge reputation as the best drones under $500 as per the latest reviews. The HS720 learning curve appears to be small and so you need to practice it thoroughly.
It works quite well as per the input from the pilot. This drone is stable and responsive and it works exactly like a camera drone used for filming. It comes with a brushless motor as well to endure a lot of mileage.
The control range is 1600 meters. However, the most important aspect is the 4K UHD 5G video transmissions.
- This model comes with a good action camera. The camera used here is basically a 2K FHD 5G Camera.
- Live video can easily be directed to the handset’s screen.
- Holy Stone HS720 is compatible with GoPro and other cameras as well.
- Apart from this, it is equipped with an on-board GPS module. It comes with various features such as a circle around me, follow me, TapFly, etc.
- You can easily work on Calibration with distinct and proper instructions.
- This drone provides three types of returns to the house with HS720. They are basically Signal loss RTH, Low Battery RTH, and the Guide RTH.
3. Parrot Bebop 2 – Best FPV Drone
This is one of the best drones under $500 which has pretty good machinery. It comes with a wide-angle range along with electronic image stabilization. So, it is perfect for beginners who like to indulge in aerial photography. It is extremely good and powerful.
It comes with a wide view that permits you to tilt and place the camera electronically. It helps in stabilizing the drone if it moves to and fro. You can get the best pictures from any other contemporary drones within this budget. Also, it provides HD video but is restricted to 720 resolution.
This GPS is of dual nature and comes with stable features such as waypoints, return to me, follow me, and many more. Parrot doesn’t come up with all the modes but comes with top-notch features.
It is summery but acquires up to a speed of 40 mph. In the FPV package, you will enjoy Skycontroller and the headset With the Skycontroller, you will get the most accurate outcomes and can stretch the range of drones as well.
- It can fly as long as 25 minutes with a full battery.
- Bebop 2 can fly up to an altitude of 300 meters.
- It is equipped with 14 MP 1080 inbuilt cameras that can take the best snap which you can share with your friends on Instagram and Facebook.
- Also, you can enjoy amazing live videos through Wi-Fi.
- It comes with a Dual-core processor along with quad-core GPU.
- The FPV Handset will help you to have a complete figure on a glare-free screen.
4. UPair One Plus
It is an alternative for the DJI Phantom drone series. The design and the camera are perfect and is built with an amazing aircraft equipped with great hardware. Most important part is that you don’t need to attach the phone and are available with a superior resolution monitor. Therefore, it makes things ready to fly than other contemporary drones.
The camera is quite advanced and helps to stabilize it on the spot. The battery capacity of this drone is 10 minutes per flight. Flight range generally varies on the type of images you capture.
The camera resolution is not the prime aspect here. Sharpness, as well as the bitrate, plays a very vital role in the overall image. However, Image Stabilization plays an important role. A camera that is unstable will produce worse images than the gimbal-stabilized camera with 720p resolution.
With the help of the two-axis stabilization gimbal, you can easily be able to manipulate the button available on the remote control. You can rotate it from 30-90 degrees producing an awesome view.
This will help you to enjoy the video with no time lag. Thanks to the FPV Real-Time Transmission. Therefore, you can easily be able to watch each and every moment of the vacation. UPAIR app is available and with that, you have to slide a slider and the drone will automatically take off or land on the plane.
Therefore, you can easily be able to manage using one key start as well as landing on the plane
- It is equipped with a 2 axis HD camera which helps you to snap superior quality images and save that to your SD card.
- The FPV drone controller is available with a 7 inch LCD screen.
- This drone comes with the Smarter Return Home feature which is GPS enabled.
- The capacity of the drone is 5400 mAH which can work up to 19 minutes of flight time.
- It is perfect for the newcomers who are well versed with functionalities such as Headless Mode, One Key Landing, Auto Return, etc.
5. Walkera Rodeo 150 – Beginner Racing Drone
This is a high performing racing done that introduces you to the refined version of lightweight drone racing. The indoor, as well as the outdoor excellence, is quite notable So, it is recommended in the list of the best drones under $500 for those who are new and with this, they can start practicing indoors.
You can use it for fun-filled activities as well as for videography needs because of the 5.8 GHz video recording couped with a HD camera. However, the quality of the camera is not that good such that it is compatible with other superior models of quadcopters.
When you open this Rodeo 150, you can find out any indoor or outdoor area that you like to begin with. It works within the permissible limit of 2.4 GHz for the longer transmission. There are other attributes such as 3 fly modes and the F3 flight controller.
- It is equipped with a 150 FPV racing drone.
- This model is compatible with 3D aerobatic flight mode.
- It is equipped with a 600 TVL DC5-12V camera.
- This is built with Brushless motors.
- It comprises 7.4V 850 mAh 30C 2S Lipo battery.
- This model has a smart and distinct integration frame as well
6. Hubsan X4 H501S
This is the ideal quad model for FPV lovers and it occupies a prominent position owing to superior performance and greater pricing. It is more of a modified version of H107C and comes with various latest features. H501S X4 is built with a brushless motor and is equipped with a 1080 camera. It can fly up to 20 minutes using a single battery charge.
The entire model is made of ABS plastic material which is quite long-lasting and lightweight. This small model has enough resistance to protect the body from any adverse situations.
This model can easily be recharged with the help of an EU adapter and this can last for about an hour. It is equipped with a good GPS module that helps in controlling the flight. Therefore, with the advanced GPS feature, you can easily be able to come back to your residence since it stores the location.
The inbuilt GPS is equipped with Failsafe mode when the connection gets disrupted from the transmitter. With the help of Failsafe mode, the flight control system will ask the quadcopter to come back home with the help of the Return Home function switch.
It is equipped with a 6 AXIS GYRO coupled with a 6 axis flight control system.
- The drone battery used here is 2700 mAH.
- Main Rotor Diameter is 7.3 inches.
- It comes with a Micro SD card, 8-32GB, Class 10, or above.
- The time of the fight is 20 minutes.
- Weight of this product is 1500 gm.
- H501S X4 controller is built with a 4.3 LCD screen.
7. DJI Mavic Mini
This model is compact and lightweight and one of the best drones under $500 which is used for traveling or hiking. It comes with a weight of 249gm during the time of take-off. But be careful if you place this inside the backpack since it comes with a controller which is also 249 gms.
Battery power is such that it stays above in the sky for almost 26 minutes.
There are certain deciding factors such as wind and temperature which helps you to fly. The majority of the testing work goes in when the temperature range varies between 35-60 degrees. It comes with a simple user experience enabling you to take some amazing snaps.
It comes with ½.3 inch sensor that can take photos up to 2.7k at 30 fps, 1080 video at 60 fps, as well as 12 MP images.
The camera quality is perfect to take social media content. Also, if you want to tone down the footage, then you can go for 1080p at 60 fps. The footage you receive is amazing and crisp.
It is perfect for indoors and outdoors owing to GPS and downward vision sensors. On the basis of the flight requirement, it can provide Sport and CineSmooth flight modes which you can easily access via DJI Fly app. You can track the default flying mode with the help of GPS and downward sensor
- The drone will go up keeping yourself centred at a particular spot.
- Optimum flight time of this drone is 30 minutes.
- The maximum speed is 29 mph.
- Weight of this product is 8.78 oz.
8. Traxxas Aton Plus
This is a big name in the field of 350-270 mm quads equipped with a flight envelope and GPS supported flight controller. Flying up in the midst of the large cloud is not a problem with this drone since you have to fire up the radio only.
Just insert the plug into this device and wait for some time till the green lights illuminate on the status bar. However, before you arm up, it is quintessential to select out of the three available modes such as Film, Sport, or Expert Mode.
Since it is termed as a Sporty Utility Drone, Aton can come up with various roles as well. There are apps such as Mission Planner using which you can log the flight. You have the provision to gauge very mission, various satellites on the orbit with the help of the app, optional SD card, etc.
The Air Brake mainly works as a bailout feature. You don’t’ have to think about the prerequisites. Just you need to press and hold the Air Brake button and then the drone will get back the composure and will start its next action.
It is perfect for pilots who are used to handle the flights. However, it opens up various opportunities. You can use the app in order to enhance or eradicate the geofence. Moreover, you can limit your speed and bank limits on every mode.
- It comes with more than 50 mph speed.
- Weight of this drone is 30.33 oz.
- The tie of the flight varies within the range of 20-25 minutes.
- It comes with a propeller of 8.27 inches.
9. Walkera F210
This is one of the best drones under $500 and comes with ready to fly as well as bind to fly mode. However, there is some additional equipment that the pilot might require. It is durable and comes with a carbon fibre frame and perfect for drone racing as well. This is built with WK-WS-28-014A KV2500 brushless motors and it can fly for about 5-8 minutes.
It is equipped with DEVO 7 remote control which gives the user access to manipulate the drone as per the requirement.
The carbon fibre body is thicker as well as tougher. Breakable bits are segregated from the main circuit board at times. The antennas move sideways and the transmitter is placed on a flexible mount which will bend.
It comes with a modular design where you can find everything that helps in plugging and play compatible.
The frame is built with carbon fibre and frontal parts are made of aluminium. Therefore, it prevents any external crash and damage while flying. The plastic motor guard safeguards the outer edge of the frame. ESC is associated with the aim body which allows seamless movement.
- It is equipped with an HD camera that gives you distinct images while flying and provides HD vision as well.
- This drone comes with one switch mode which provides stunts in 3D modes like roll, flip, and face course moves.
- It comes with F3 Flight Controller and Brushless ESC F210.
- The transmitter available here is equipped with a 3.5 inch LCD FPV monitor.
- Walkera F210 has a control range of a maximum of 400 meters.
10. 3DR Solo
It is one such drone available in the market that comes with two dedicated 1GHz Cortex A9 Linux computers. It is one of the best drones under $500 with good features. This is equipped with two such computers-one is available on the controller and the other is present on the board that takes care of all kinds of superior quality scripting. Because of this configuration, it provides reliable service.
It doesn’t feature any camera and so you need to carry your own GoPro. The autonomous flight mode of 3DR Solo comes with four features which include Cable Cam, Selfie, Orbit, as well as Follow. With the help of this drone, you can take care of all types of flights which focus mainly on taking the ultimate shot.
It comes with an Orbit Mode that helps the drone to walk down the circle. TH Selfie Mode helps in focusing on the camera and the Follow Me option tells you to navigate.
Apart from this, this autonomous feature provides the pilot to control it manually without any extra burden. This will also help the pilot to apply proper precautions as well while flying.
- The maximum control distance is around 2 km.
- It is equipped with a battery of 5,200 mAH alongwith a 14.8 Vdc lithium-ion battery.
- Moreover, it is available with a live 720p HD video feed.
- It is equipped with awesome Smart Shot technology that provides you the cinematic footage.
- You will get a full-featured app that works with Android as well as iOS apps.
- The 3 axis Solo Gimbal helps in capturing the perfect stable shots as well.
- It comes with a rechargeable control battery of 2600 mAH.
Important Things to Consider Before Buying
If you are looking for cheap drones then you need to consider the specifications and how you can utilize the best out of it. It’s a tough choice to choose the best drones under $500 since there might be problems like tracking, unstable camera, faulty screen, and many more. So, carefully analyse all the parameters before you choose.
Price of the Model
You need to think about the cost of the product before you choose the best ones. What can be your budget that’s the most important choice to make? If you are a beginner, obviously you don’t like to invest too much.
There are certain models that emit very weird sounds during the take-off as well as landing. It creates disturbances at times. Mostly, if you are using it indoors, you don’t want any unwanted noise.
Before purchasing the right one it is essential to check the flight controls. It might happen that after buying, you end up with a faulty control and that will cause trouble during flying.
Live Video Streaming
Majority of the cameras used in the drone come up with live video streaming features. This is because most of the pilots want to use it for recording HD video and not for the purpose of live broadcasting.
It is important to figure out how long your controller can work without a battery swap. If it only works for 20 minutes and then starts rebooting, you will really get irritated. Therefore, it is essential to check the battery quality.
Check The Essentials and Then Place the Order!!
Always keep in mind there are various types of drones available but to choose the best drones under $500, you need to take care of certain essentials. That’s why we have enlisted the two most obvious choices after diligent research.
You can go for Traxxas Aton Plus owing to the high speed and ease of convenience. Second of all, you can go for the Walkera F210 because of the high-quality camera and the amazing F3 controller. Rest depends upon your usage. However, you can go for the other drones as well as per your usability. So, gear up and choose the best ones for an adventurous experience.
- Are drones available under $500 worthwhile?
This is a difficult question to answer since those which are available under budget are quite accurate and provide stability even under extreme windy weather. Certain drones feature autonomous functions to help the pilot. So, for beginners, it is advisable to start with the cheaper ones.
- Whether drones are safer to use for children?
This is not all recommendable since these drones are not toy drones. Therefore, for the recreational benefit, it is not at all advisable for children as well.
- Whether the drones are compatible with GoPro and other cameras?
There are various drones available in the list which works really well with the GoPro and the Xiaomi as well. There are some drones that are already equipped with good camera quality as well. However, if you want to attach GoPro you can go ahea